A reputable DUI attorney is always vital if charged with DUI offense
Driving under the influence is a serious offense no matter the consequences. Taking the wheel at the inappropriate time can not only cause harm to yourself but others as well.
What many may not know is that a DUI offense can arrive in the form of substances other than alcohol such as a narcotic drug or a prescription drug. All of these can alter your reaction time if consumed in large amounts, all the while disturb your judgment in driving situations.
According to The Tennessee Code Annotated (TCA), DUI is defined in Section 55-10-401 subsection as (a)(1) (being) under the influence of any intoxicant, marijuana, controlled substance or its analogue, or any substance which affects the central nervous system in any combination that impairs the driver’s ability to safely operate a motor vehicle by depriving the driver of the clearness of mind and self control which he otherwise possesses; (2) The driver’s blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is 0.08 percent or more; or (3) With a BAC of 0.04 percent and the vehicle is a commercial motor vehicle.
If you are new to DUI law, below are a few statistics that exemplify the cause for concern and need for awareness:
- Automotive crashes are the leading cause of death among persons between the ages of 3 and 33. *
- Approximately 14% of all children killed in motor vehicle crashes are victims of alcohol-impaired driving.*
- In the United States, an average of one person is killed in an alcohol-impaired crash every 48 minutes, and those deaths represent 32% of all traffic fatalities.*
- On average, three in every ten Americans will be involved in an alcohol-impaired crash during their life. *
- Approximately 31% of all Tennessee roadway fatalities are alcohol-impaired. *
- An estimated 513,000 people are injured in alcohol-impaired crashes each year which is an average of 59 people per hour or approximately one person every minute. +
*Source National Highway Traffic Safety Administration/ + MADD Tennessee
With numbers and stats such as this, DUI law is something in which all should be aware. If you are a DUI offender, then you will need a reputable DUI lawyer. On the other hand, if you are injured in a DUI accident, then you may be in need of legal counsel too.